November is World Diabetes Month and in recognition of large number of people who suffer from Diabetes, I am sharing my Low Sugar Banana Muffins with you today.
It is important to me that I try my best to reduce the amount of sugar that my family intakes on a regular basis. Diabetes does run in our family and my family’s health is extremely important to me.
I make muffins on a weekly basis because they make an excellent snack food and I know exactly what my children are eating when I send them to school with a muffin for snack. The problem is that most muffins do contain sugar, and in my opinion, WAY too much for a daily treat. In order to fix this problem, I made a few adjustments to my regular Banana Muffin Recipe in order to make it LOW Sugar.
Orange Naturals also have a variety of remedies to even out your Blood Sugar. Over the past few months, I have been trying out new Orange Naturals products and have been impressed with how well they work!
One thing that I have learned while trying to live a healthier lifestyle is that sugar is addictive! Tammy from In R Dream refers to this in her post where she shares a recipe for Creamy Frozen Banana Whip: a Sugar Free Recipe Replacement for Ice Cream. The more we consume sugar, the more our bodies crave the sugar and it often spirals out of control.
TIP: To make this recipe even lower in sugar, feel free to substitute honey or natural maple syrup in for the 1/4 cup of sugar!
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking power
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 medium bananas mashed (ripe bananas)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or low-fat sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Measure out all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda) into a large bowl.
- Mash bananas.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg, oil, vanilla and yogurt (or sour cream).
- Add banana and stir.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips and gently mix (don’t over mix because muffins will be too tough).
- Put muffin papers in muffin tin or use a Stoneware Muffin Pan
- Put ¼ cup of muffin batter into muffin papers.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
If sweet isn’t your thing, feel free to check out this recipe on the O Natural Blog for Chili Lime Kale Chips as they are full of healthy benefits and super easy to make.
Did You Know…
O Natural has an awesome newsletter full of health tips, tricks, recipes, and of course, real people with real stories, just like you!
You can purchase Orange Naturals at well.ca!
Yes, I am an affiliate!
Disclosure: I am part of the Orange Naturals Mom Ambassador Program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.