Summer is such a fantastic time of year, and it’s nowhere near over! The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and the bees are buzzing. Now is the perfect time to have some amazing summer fun with your family. Summer time fun can get expensive and put quite the dent in your wallet. With the costs associated with summer camps, theme parks and festivals, your wallet can end up getting quite the workout. Never fear, we’ve got some ideas for free summer activities that your family can enjoy together.
The good news is that there are plenty of free summer activities for families that can educate, entertain and amaze without breaking the bank. After all, your wallet needs a summer break too.
Free Summer Activities ~ ideas for you to consider
– Many different movie theatre chains will offer free or discounted admission to movies over the summer months. As an alternative, there are many cities or towns that offer free movies in the park. These are a lot of fun to attend, just remember the bug repellent!
Parks or Playgrounds
– Local playgrounds and parks are a wonderful setting for free summer family fun. Bring a picnic, take a soccer ball, hike the trails or play on the equipment. There are many things you can do at your local parks or playgrounds and if you want to switch it up occasionally, mix it up and visit different ones around the neighbourhood.
Free Festivals or Concerts
– Keep an eye on your local paper to find free festivals or concerts in your area. These can all be fantastic fun for the entire family and while there are opportunities to spend money at some of these events, you don’t have to!
Go on a Picnic
– Pack up lunch or dinner and head to your closest park to eat. Picnics can be simple or elaborate, that is entirely up to you. You could even throw together some sandwiches and eat them under a backyard tree or fry some chicken (see here for a healthier version of fried chicken) for a picnic at the beach. The possibilities are endless. Here’s a list of what to pack for a day at the beach.
– Spray bottles, water balloons, wading pools and even water guns are all a fun way to play outside for free. Water play is an amazing way to spend some family fun together.
Go for a Bike Ride
– A family bike ride is a great way to get out and enjoy some exercise together and guess what, it’s free! Just don’t forget to bring the water.
Visit the Library
– Many local public libraries will offer plenty of free summer activities that you can participate in as a family. Go to book readings or participate in a family art activity. This is a great way to get out this summer and have fun for free. Check your local library’s website to see what programs they are offering this summer.
There are many ways to enjoy some free summer activities for families this year.
Get creative and make sure to check your local newspaper for any free local events you can attend together. Remember, spending time together as a family doesn’t have to be expensive, you can make plenty of memories on a dime.