This blog post has been sponsored by Quinta Quinoa, however, please know that all views are my own and are not influenced in any way. This post also contains affiliate links.
Birthday parties are a wonderful celebration, however birthday food can often be a challenge, especially if some of the guests need gluten free treats. This is why I was super excited when I came across this Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Recipe that has now become my “go-to” chocolate cake recipe. And now, I have turned it into Birthday Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes.
Last year, at the Green Living Show, I came across Quinta Quinoa, a Canadian Quinoa producer. Actually, I was very intrigued when I learned that not only are they Canadian, but they are also in Ontario.
Quinoa is high in protein.
Therefore, not only are these gluten free chocolate cupcakes gluten free, but they are also high in protein!
Before you think that this recipe may not be well received by your friends and family, I need you to know that I have some of the pickiest eaters in my family and some of them actually ASK ME to make these gluten free chocolate cupcakes! While Qunioa often has a very distinct, unique flavour and smell, you really cannot detect it in this version of chocolate cupcake!
TIP: Rinse your quinoa before using as this eliminates some of the bitter taste associated with quinoa.
- ⅔ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1⅓ cups water
- ⅓ cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract,
- ¾ cup · melted and cooled butter
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp · baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, let it simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let it stand for another 10 minutes (after cooked, you can let cool, put the lid on and place in fridge until you’re ready to make the cake).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Mix the milk, vanilla, and eggs in a blender. Add and blend in the cooked quinoa and melted, cooled butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, cinnamon, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the contents of the blender into the bowl and stir until mixed together.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the muffin pan before serving.
Buy Quinta Quinoa on Amazon
Facts about Quinta Quinoa…
- Quinta Quinoa has been developed through six years of natural breeding and selection (non-GMO) in the pursuit of developing a variety that is conducive to Canada’s climate and soil conditions. The nutritional profile of Quinta’s Quinoa is world leading.
- Quinta Quinoa is not only the sole source of quinoa produced and processed completely in Ontario; it is also the only quinoa on the market that has performed the necessary nutrient analyses to claim high in protein, fiber and zinc, an excellent source of iron and magnesium, and a source of calcium. Quinta Quinoa contains 10g of protein per serving, while their competition only contains 6g per serving.
- Quinta’s iron levels are also four times higher than all other quinoa competitors, with 60% daily value of iron per serving compared to 15% for competitors. Overall, Quinta Quinoa has 2-4 times the nutrients than standard quinoa.
- Quinta Quinoa is currently sold in over 100 retail locations across Ontario. This includes health food stores, small retail, farm stores, farm markets, and larger grocery chains including Lococco’s, new to Longo’s Guelph and Sobey’s. The company also works with a local distributor in the GTA.
If you’re in the GTA, I encourage you to visit the Royal Agricultural Fair November 8-12. Quinta Quinoa is a vendor in the ‘Northern Ontario Exhibit’
It’s Giveaway Time!
Prize: 5 winners will each receive a 400g bag of Quinta (Retail Value $10.99)
Giveaway Ends: November 27, 2017, 11:59pm ET
Open to: Canadian Residents
I would love to try making cookies!
I should try that!
I like using Quinoa instead of rice when making a stirfry because of the nutty flavour.
I like having it as a side dish for dinner.
Healthy option for sure!
My favorite way to enjoy Quinoa is just with salt & pepper
So good for you!
Love Quinoa Breakfast Cereal make it and eat for a week, cranberries,figs cinnamon , raisins all cooked together in one pot Eat hot or straight from the fridge with plain yogurt and a 1/2 tsp of homemade jam-The Best
Sounds so healthy – a great combo!
I would make chocolate muffins.
mix it with oatmeal. thanks
Now that I could get on board with!
I enjoy Quinoa salad.
I’d try it in some muffins!
What are your favourite kind of muffins?
My favourite way to enjoy Quinoa is in cold salad. I would like to try making hot breakfast cereal if I win!
I have tried it before for breakfast – but I found it a bit too bitter for first thing in the morning – I’m sure with some experimentation, we could fix that!
I love it in salads and savoury dishes.
you know i`ve never tried Quinoa before! I would try it in some muffins!
I hadn’t until a couple of years ago. It is nice in muffins.
i am not that familiar with quinoa, and don’t often cook with it! i would love to learn more about how to use it! i think i would try it in a salad ?
It is quite nice as a salad!
My favorite way to eat Quinoa is in salads.
Nice – do you have a favourite salad, Stephanie?
I love quinoa in granola bars
Do you have a favourite recipe?
I add quinoa to a hearty salad with tofu and beans as well as lettuce greens and baby tomatoes and a light dressing!
That’s a great addition to any salad, for sure!
I like quinoa as a simple side but these cupcakes sound great!
I’m not going to lie – the cupcakes are pretty darn good LOL
I use quinoa in meatballs, as a side dish and in stuffed zucchini and peppers.
That is a great idea, to use it in meatballs! I was just talking to my Mom today about using it in hamburgers.
I like to eat it in a salad.
I made a quinoa and brown rice and chicken teriyaki stuffed pineapple in the summer… omg so good!
I like using it to make a coating for chicken
I love eating it in salads!
I like eating quinoa in summer salads.
love to use quinoa in salads and soups!
Would love to try your quinoa. Thanks for the contest.
I actually just lile Quinoa cooked by itself and I add a little soya sauce to it. My daughter makes great stuffed peppers with Quinoa.
We add Quinoa to soups, salads, or just mixed in with fried onions & peppers.
I would make quinoa salad with chickpeas, pepper, cucumber, onion, garlic and parsley.
I would make miso quinoa salad
Hazelnut currant Quinoa salad!
I love savoury quinoa with veggies!
I’ve been afraid to buy quinoa b/c I haven’t tried it before (and I don’t want to find out I don’t like it). This recipe for cupcakes may be a great way to start! I have seen an interesting recipe for quinoa burgers I’d like to try too.
I love making salads
I like quinoa salad
I like to eat it for breakfast, like oatmeal, with cinnamon and maple syrup