As we know, ensuring that children get a proper amount of fitness each day is so important to their health and well-being. Fortunately, Holland Bloorivew Kids rehabilitation Hospital hosts an Inclusive Fitness Program for Youth so that all children have the same opportunity to participate in sports and fitness activities, regardless of their abilities.
Igniting Fitness Possibilities Program (IFP)
is an inclusive program that is designed to mobilize kids with and without disabilities to engage with and foster a passion for physical activity.
This program is an inclusive program that focuses on providing enjoyable physical activity opportunities among inactive youth in grades 1 through 12 of all abilities. The program involves both sport-based skills as well as non-competitive, teamwork-based games. Both of these options allow youth of all abilities to be active in a social setting, an aspect of childhood that is so crucial to emotional happiness and development as much as the physical side.
The Primary Goals of the Inclusive Fitness Program for Youth:
- Participants gain a positive attitude towards physical activity and its benefits
- Participants develop the confidence to try new community-wide physical activities and form new friendships
- Participants are motivated to continue future activity, and can set goals to stay active
- Staff gain an enhanced knowledge of how to plan, implement, and support inclusive physical activities
Some Additional Goals of the program:
- Participants are more active by the end of the program than they were at the start
- Staff gain an appreciation of how to create inclusive physical activities for a range of abilities
- Parents develop knowledge, skills, and motivation to support their child/youth in being physically active
In December 2014, the National Bank made a generous pledge of $100,000 in five years to bring an Inclusive Fitness Program for Youth to more communities in the GTA.
It is truly wonderful to know that there are programs like this one that exist for children! All children, regardless of their abilities should have access to sports and activities and Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital has made that possible for children in the GTA.
This is a sponsored post. Please note that all opinions are my own and have not been influenced in any way.