On the weekend, the kids and I headed to the Jays baseball game. It’s a very long story how this all happened, but in the end, all you need to know is that hubby stayed home. He knew that we would be coming home around dinner time, so he asked me what I had planned for dinner. I had taken ground beef out of the freezer the day before and didn’t end up using it. I had intentions of figuring out how to make beef taquitos and so that is what I told him. He didn’t skip a beat and answered, “ok”. And that was that.
When we arrived home, dinner was being served on the table. You don’t have to tell me how incredibly lucky I am! I am very blessed. Not only had hubby made us beef taquitos, but he had come up with his very own recipe and it was DELICIOUS.
The Beef Taquitos were so yummy that I just had to share the recipe with you!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 1 jalapeno (no seeds, chopped finely)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 heaping tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 14 large tortillas
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- Fry onion and jalapeno in a small amount of oil until soft.
- Add beef and seasoning and fry until browned.
- Mix tomato paste and water to make a liquid and add to beef mixture. Boil off excess.
- Add a line of beef mixture, sprinkled with cheese to a tortilla and roll.
- Brush tortillas with butter.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 10 minutes.
- Flip taquitos over and bake for another 10 minutes.
NOTE: The one caution that I will share is that when you are working with jalapeno peppers, be sure to wash your hands (and scrub your fingernails) really well! If you wipe your eyes by mistake, you will be very sorry as they will BURN!
You might also be interested in trying out this version called Beef Taquito Pie