Who knew that we would end up having a family tradition whenever we make ribs, but apparently we do! We have a favourite Cornbread Recipe that we have grown to love and we really enjoy it in combination with delicious BBQ Ribs! We also have a zesty homemade BBQ sauce that we make for the side that I will share with you shortly.
This cornbread is beautifully moist thanks to the addition of buttermilk and slightly sweet, but not overwhelmingly sweet. It compliments our Dry Rib Rub as it creates something savory and something slightly sweet. A beautiful combination.
a Moist Cornbread Recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- small amount of butter for greasing the pan
- Note: If you don’t have honey, feel free to use 1/2 cup of sugar (total) instead.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and generously grease an 8×8 square pan. (I love to use my square Pampered Chef stoneware pan.)
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add the buttermilk and honey and stir together.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture well combined, but be sure not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at the center of the oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until the cornbread is firm and golden on the outside. You can insert a toothpick and it should come out clean.
- Cool and cut into pieces.
- Delicious served on its own or with butter or honey on top.