Healthy snacks that are filled with protein are sometimes difficult to find when you are on the go. BUT, including protein in every meal is so important! As a Mom, I am often struggling to find healthy snacks to pack for my children who seem to be hungry all of the time!
Some ideas of protein-rich foods include nuts, chick peas and greek yogurt. I often make batches of No Bake, Healthy Oatmeal Granola Bars for my children that include protein in the peanut butter. You can also find some more Healthy Snack Ideas in my Recipe Index.
I enjoyed reading tips from Hayley Wickenheiser, a Five time Olympic Gold Medalist for Women’s Hockey AND the Canadian flag bearer Hayley definitely understands what it is like to live life “on the go” as she is a Mom, five-time Olympic medalist, a busineswoman, and a student.
Hayley’s Tips for Healthy Snack Ideas Include:
- Plan ahead. Avoid the temptation of vending machines, quick-serve restaurants and convenience stores by planning your snacks ahead of time.
- Always carry healthy snacks with you on the go. When you do this, they will always be within reach so you won’t be tempted with less nutritious options.
- When reaching for a snack, opt for something that is tasty and provides good nutrition to avoid the crash that often follows empty calories snacks.
- When at the grocery store, stick to the perimeter where you’ll find healthy, fresh and protein-rich foods such as poultry, dairy, fruits and vegetables.
- Whenever possible, choose lean protein snacks. Since protein helps to slow down the digestion of food, protein snacks will keep you feeling fuller and satisfied longer.
- Make sure you get enough complete protein every day. Complete protein contains all of the essential amino acids your body needs and cannot produce on its own.
- Serve complete protein to your active kids as a perfect recovery snack to help build and repair muscles quickly.
Here is a video of Hayley, featuring one of her favourite health snack ideas: PROTINIS from Maple Leaf Foods:
PROTINIS from Maple Leaf Foods make an excellent complete protein snack! PROTINIS Skewers are a delicious and portable snack for busy families on the go!
PROTINIS are available in eight flavours including:
- Oven Roasted Chicken
- Sweet Thai Chili Chicken
- Mild Salsa Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Oven Roast Chicken and Cranberry
- Oven Roasted Chicken and Superfruit
- Oven Roasted Chicken and Mango
- Oven Roasted Chicken and Apple
They are also available in THREE NEW PROTINIS SKEWERS FLAVOURS:
- Chicken Souvlaki
- Spicy Thai Chicken
- Tandoori Chicken
PROTINIS is available at major grocery stores across Canada and retail for approximately $3.99. Each pack containes two PROTINIS snacks.
This post was generously sponsored by Maple Leaf Foods. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced in any way.