When I was younger, my Mom used to call Zucchini bread, “Christmas Bread”. Somehow, giving it a fun name made my sister and I much more willing to give the bread a try AND we loved it!
With my children, I really wanted them to learn from a very young age that zucchini was a delicious vegetable option and while we don’t eat it plain as a vegetable, I do add it to baking all of the time. So, I was up front with them when I served them zucchini muffins or Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread and told them straight up that there was zucchini in it and they have always accepted it as an ingredient in some of my baking. Thank goodness. My next hurdle is to find a way to prepare cooked zucchini that the family enjoys (including me).
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
Recipe Type: baking
A combination of zucchini and bananas makes this bread super moist and delicious.
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- <span class=”grw_”>1 <span class=”gr_ gr_f6401816-7eff-de56-3bfe-6b3c56769a9c gr_spell”>tsp</span> vanilla</span>
- 1 medium sized zucchini, grated
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- <span class=”grw_”>1/2 <span class=”gr_ gr_6b1e0eba-4858-d573-d9be-6e81e297db06 gr_spell”>tsp</span> baking soda</span>
- <span class=”grw_”>1 <span class=”gr_ gr_7c0dc0b7-e8ed-3288-1e7a-70510e30cf81 gr_spell”>tsp</span> baking powder</span>
- 1/4 c mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add the egg and gently whisk into banana.
- Cut butter into small pieces.
- Using a fork, stir in butter while mashing the banana and butter mixture together. (It does NOT have to be perfectly mixed)
- Stir in brown sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- Grate zucchini and stir into wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients on top of wet ingredients, gently combine dry ingredients with a fork before stirring into the wet ingredients. Stir until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips and pour mixture into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before removing.
- Use a butter knife to gently score around the edges of the bread to loosen before turning loaf pan upside down.
- To mash bananas, you can use a fork OR a potato masher.
- Grate zucchini ahead of time and put in a bowl with a paper towel on top. Set in the fridge (for a few hours OR overnight).
- Save extra grated zucchini in a resealable freezer bag and store in the freezer for the next time you want to make this delicious bread.
- Save a few slices and wrap them in plastic wrap and then add them to a storage container or resealable bag and freeze them for snacks, unexpected guests or school lunches.
Well this one I just have to try….Zucchini is awesome in everything!! And the kiddos love it too! Grandma makes banana bread every week, I’ll have to share this.
Love the name “Christmas bread”…seems right!
Let me know what you think of this, Laurie! I love the name of Christmas Bread too 🙂
Yummy! This looks soooo good! My mum accidently planted too many zucchini’s this summer, so I have a freezer full and some overripe bananas! Def gonna make this thanks!
Well sounds like you’re all set to make this bread 🙂 Be sure to let me know what you think!
Yummy! I’ve made banana bread and zucchini bread but never mixed the 2! I will definitely have to try this out.
My daughter makes a banana/whatever is available/ cake every week or so the kids just love it
I have never tried a Zucchini before. I have make lots of banana bread.
Here’s an easy yummy way to make the cooked zucchini. Slice it in thin circles. Stir fry in coconut oil sprinkled with garlic powder. Thanks for the recipe; I will try it sometime soon!
That sounds delicious Louanne – thank you! Do I have your permission to share this idea?
Sure; go ahead! Have a great day!
Yum 🙂 One of my favorite ways to use up garden zucchini! I will have to try your recipe out as it’s a little different then what I normally make; and I always like to try a variation!
My family is not a fan of zucchini but I might be able to get them to eat it in this format especially with chocolate chips added but I would have to not tell them that it had zucchini in it.
Judy – you have to trust me! I’m not a fan of zucchini either but in the bread, you cannot taste it at all! Even without adding chocolate chips, it is amazing how it melts to nothing.
This looks amazing – I love zucchini loaf!
I can’t wait to make this with the zucchini from our garden. Sounds so yummy!
That must be on my list of things to do next year – grow my own zucchini!
I’ve made Banda chocolate chip, and I’ve made zucchini chocolate chip but never combined the both. Yummy
Me too! Funny, right? It is a delicious combination.
I will be trying this soon
I have made this for the first today and wow what a treat it is for sure ..for all who have not made this yet you will not regret it ..its yummy for your tummy LOL!! Good Luck 🙂 🙂
Awww…thank you SO much for coming back to let me know, I truly appreciate the time you took to do that 🙂 You just made my day!
I really want to give this a try because I think my boys would love it. I just have to find time to make it. 🙂
I have never baked with zucchini before but I am so excited to try it out!
I have some Zucchini to use up this would be perfect thanks for sharing the recipe , looks DELISH 🙂
I love baking with zucchini, it hides so easily in muffins and breads. My kids love it and I like to give them it with chocolate chips too for an extra treat.
WOW! This looks amazing! I love zucchini bread. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Pingback: Zucchini Muffins - Multi-Testing Mommy