The fancy word for this dessert is “Galette”, but in my books, it is a cheater pie. It tastes like pie, it just doesn’t look like it!
So, you’re still asking yourself, what is Galette?
Answer from Wikipedia:
“Galette is a term used in French cuisine to designate various types of flat round or free form crusty cakes.”
So does that answer your question? Perhaps not. As I mentioned above, I find Galette to be like a cheater pie because it has all of the exact same ingredients as a pie, it just looks different.
I am going to share with you two recipes, one for Berry Galette and another for Peach Galette. It is almost an identical process, except for the Peach Galette, you need to skin your peaches before you begin.
Before you read the actual recipe, please note that the time of 40 minutes preparation is because it takes just under 10 minutes to prepare the pastry and then it has to refrigerate for half an hour. Try not to be overwhelmed by this recipe, it is easier than it looks and sounds!
- For the Filling…
- 2 cups Berries or Skinned and Sliced Peaches (approximate measurement)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tsp flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup peach or berry juice
- For the Pastry…
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup COLD butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 3 Tbsp ice water
- First make the pastry.
- Stir together salt and flour.
- Either shred butter with a cheese grater or cut into large cubes with a knife.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until small crumbs form.
- Mix together vinegar and ice water.
- Add water mixture to the flour/butter mixture and stir well until dough comes together (NOTE: I use my hands to do this and it takes a good minute or two to come together).
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes (or even overnight).
- Next, make the Berry or Peach Mixture.
- See instructions for how to peel peaches (Peach Galette).
- Slice peaches (Peach Galette).
- Wash and measure berries, can use any kind (Berry Galette).
- Stir in 1/3 cup sugar into the berry or peach mixture and let sit for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Drain berry or peach mixture and reserve 1/4 cup of the juices.
- Mix in the vanilla, cornstarch, flour,, cinnamon and lemon juice into the 1/4 cup of reserved juice.
- Add the juice mixture to the berries or peaches and stir to combine.
- Take dough out of fridge for approximately 10 minutes prior to rolling.
- Roll out dough on a surface sprinkled with icing sugar (powdered sugar) to desired thickness (approximately 1/8th an inch thick). Aim for a rectangular shape.
- Place dough on a cookie sheet.
- Make cuts into your dough as seen in image below.
- Put your filling down the middle of the dough and criss cross the pastry strips across one another, leaving an opening in the middle (see photo of finished product).
- Brush dough with milk or an egg wash (1 egg mixed with 2 Tbsp water) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes.
- NOTE: Watch for juices running out and keep an eye out for burning.
- You can roll out your pastry into a circle shape and simply fold over edges, folding in whatever direction the pastry falls.
- If you like cream cheese, you can spread a mixture of 1/2 cup cream cheese and 1/4 icing sugar with 1 tsp of vanilla and spread it on the pastry prior to adding the berries.