This post is written as part of a journey inspired by the Heart and Stroke Foundation’s My Healthy Weight Action Plan, an online tool geared towards helping you live a healthier life. Feel free to get caught up on previous posts: Week 1
I survived Week 1 of my “Let’s Get Healthy” Challenge! YAY!
Start Weight: 190 pounds
End of Week 1: 185 pounds
Starting BMI: 28.9
End of Week 1 BMI: 28.1
I still need to do my other measurements.
For a few years now, I’ve read a number of bloggers who have tracked their “weight loss” or “path to healthier living” and I’ve always thought in the back of my mind, “Wow, they have a lot of guts. I could never admit my weight online!” Here I am, a few years later, having tried a few different “get healthy methods” and other than going on migraine medication (not for the purpose of weight loss!), nothing has helped me lose weight.
I’ve done some thinking this week about why I am overweight. Here is what I have come up with:
- I have no will power when it comes to food.
- I lack proper portion control.
- I often find myself eating because something tastes good or I have a mental craving, not because I actually hungry.
- I have a sweet tooth.
- I emotionally eat.
- I like my carbs.
- I’m not a big “exercise” fan.
How am I going to address these challenges? I’m not 100% sure, I am going to figure that out as I go on this My Healthy Weight Action Plan journey. This week, I kept a log of my eating habits as suggested by the Online Tool. I liked how they offer you an online tracking tool or a printable “paper log” option. They also have you track more than just what you ate, but also quantity and any other factors that influenced your food choices (e.g. how you felt, where you ate).
Keeping a food log really did make me think about what I was eating. Not only was it good to look over my food logs, but it also affected my food choices, as I would second guess what the best choices would be. I will continue to track my eating habits this week. I need to try to find an app that I can bring with me wherever I go.
Changes This Week:
- Started the day with a cup of hot water with 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon.
- Tried to ensure that I have protein (even a small amount) at every meal.
- Ate small amounts more regularly.
- Watched my portion size.
- Snacked on healthier options like celery (and lots of it).
- Drank lots of water throughout the day.
- Repeated positive thoughts like “You are worth it” or “I can do this” inside my head when I found myself craving bad food choices.
- Did a Zumba class and played DDR using our Xbox Kinnect (more on that another day).
- Talked to other supportive and awesome people who are taking a similar challenge.
- Looked up some healthier recipes to make (see one this coming Friday!)
My next step in the My Healthy Weight Action Plan journey is to answer some questions about my eating and activity levels to get some expert Healthy Eating Recommendations that work best for me!
So far, using this tool has been great for me. It has motivated me and educated me and is getting me started in the right direction.
Opinions expressed belong to Multi-Testing Mommy and are NOT influenced in any way. See MTM’s Disclosure for more details.