My kids are in a bit of a rut with breakfast, and I want to change it up so I’ve made them some breakfast bars this morning in hopes to change things up a bit. The original recipe had WAY more sugar than I was comfortable with so I’ve changed it, and in the future, I plan on adding some apple sauce (when I have some in the house) too!
Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
4 cups oats (quick cooking)
1 1/2 cups flour (half whole wheat if you want to be healthier)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup apple sauce (optional, but recommended as these bars are a bit dry)
1 cup raisins (you could add other dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips etc.)
- some people may prefer to add a bit of salt to this recipe
- if you don’t find these sweet enough, you could add 1/4 cup or so of maple syrup or more honey
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix together until moistened.
- Press into a greased 13×9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let bars cool completely before cutting into individual bars.
- These freeze well for lunches (as long as you don’t put nuts in them for school!)