Lately, our family has been talking about our plans for the summer. Many of our discussions have been about the summer essentials required for a fun summer day. The summer essentials from a kid’s point of view are different than those from an adult’s standpoint. While FUN is a priority, summer parenting is often jaded with sibling rivalry and creative ways to keep active with the kids’ educational skills.
My 12 year old daughter shares her thoughts on Summer Essentials for FUN in the sun…
When I think about the essentials to a summer day, there are a few things that stand out in my mind. Firstly, going out in the nice weather would be awesome! The most important item to consider before heading outdoors, of course, is sunscreen. Sunscreen protects your skin and prevents sunburns. There are so many different sunscreen options out there, so you can pick your favourite brand or even scent. Also, don’t forget to use deodorant! Summer means HOT, which often means sweat.
NOW for the FUN essentials! Something so awesome to always have on hand is chalk! It is a mess free, on the go art experience. You and your kids can create summer masterpieces together. Another super fun activity is water play! You can use a fancy water gun OR simply poke holes in a plastic bottle.
By being prepared with summer essentials, you can have fun and be free of complaints from the kids. The only issue is getting through two months of this! Good luck and have a great summer.
My son, on the other hand, lives a very simple life.
For him, summer is about activities and fun. He said that with a super soaker in hand, he can have fun in any summer situation! Fun is where it is at for the summer time for my 8 year old boy!
Summer Essentials from a Mom’s Perspective…
Now, from a Mom’s view point, there are definitely a few summer essentials that are key to consider having at the ready:
- Sunscreen There are many different kinds of sunscreen out there; therefore, be sure to do your research to learn which one will best suit your needs.
- Razor If you are like me and get lazy during the winter, you want to be sure to have some new razors or razor blades on hand. There is nothing worse than getting stuck in the shower, legs all lathered up, only to learn that you have no razor!
- Lotion While our skin is notorious for being dry during the winter months, it is just as important to keep our skin well moisturized during the summer months as well! The sun dries out our skin and a good lotion can help your skin re-hydrate.
- Deodorant If you’re like me and you sweat a lot, you want to be sure you are stocked up with a good deodorant!
- Snacks I literally NEVER leave the house in the summer without water for the kids and a full snack bag! When the kids are as active as they are, they need fuel to keep them going!
- Fun for the kids I have taught my kiddos that there is no such thing as the word BORED! However, I also make sure that I am always armed with great ideas for fun in the summer. Sidewalk chalk and super soakers are great for a hot summer day to keep the kids busy and happy for hours!
Crayola Washable Sidewalk Chalk
Chips Ahoy Thins
Life Brand Fabric Bandages
SUNTHERA Sun Protection Lotion
St. Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter Body Lotion
Banana Boat Kids Sunscreen Lotion
Kids Folding Camp Chair
Nerf Scatter Blast
This busy Mom loves one stop shopping for summer essentials!
As a result, Shoppers Drug Mart has become one of my favourite stores because they have you covered with summer essentials for an active family who is on the go!
A giant Shoppers Drug Mart summer bucket will pop up at various locations in and around the GTA this month, with chances to win prizes. You’ll get to create your very own Summer Bucket list moment and take an interactive selfie to share. Look out for the giant bucket at Toronto Harbourfront – Harbourfront Kids Circus (May 20 -22), Square One Celebration Square Movie Nights in Mississauga on Thursday nights (May 25, June 1, June 8, June 15), Barrie Waterfront Festival (May 26 – 28), Riverside Eats & Beats Streetfest (June 3-4), and will be featured at other fun-filled events, too!
There are also chances to win prizes in store starting on Saturday AND find out how you can win 1 of 5 prizes of 1 million Optimum points by visiting Shoppers Drug Mart.
This post has been generously sponsored by Shoppers Drug Mart. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced in any way.