There….now, I have your attention!
I have figured out how to make a homemade healthier chocolate spread that both the kids and I thoroughly enjoy!
Many of us are chocolate lovers, but so many of us indulge in chocolate treats that really are not all that great for our health. While chocolate itself does have some excellent properties, it’s often the added “junk” that can give it a bad reputation.
Below, I have shared a recipe for a homemade healthier chocolate spread. Unlike spreads that you can purchase on the shelves in the grocery store, this version has no refined sugar and no preservatives, so it does have to be refrigerated.
It is a delicious treat to enjoy in many ways, like with fruit or spread on waffles, toast or rice crackers. This recipe does require a food processor or a good quality blender.
- 2 cups, rounded cashews
- 2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder OR cacao powder (for an even healthier version)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt (omit if using salted nuts)
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy, I used cashew milk)
- In a food processor, place 2 cups of cashews and process until they turn into a butter- like consistency.
- Add all other ingredients and blend for approximately 5 minutes until smooth.
- Store in a glass container in the fridge.
This is definitely a treat snack that I could get used to! I am so grateful to have a food processer that I received when we got married from my wonderful Mother-in-Law that allows me to make this recipe with ease.