If you would like to read more about Shari and her three boys, please feel free to visit her blog, The Knit Wit by Shair.
When the fall rolls around, we tend to head indoors, and back to family routines. Sometimes, our family life can be so busy that we forget to make memories. I think it is easier in the summer to fit in family time and memory making because we are taking trips, or just hanging outside as a family.
When we are indoors, we have to remember to make a point of having family time. Also, as parents, we have to remember that we don’t have to spend a lot of money, or go to the newest hot spot to create lasting memories. Some of my best memories from my childhood are just hanging out as a family. The times my Dad played skipping with us girls, or the family played board games around the table.
Here are some ideas we use at our house to create memories:
- Root, root, root for the home team! How about watching a sporting event together. Yes, it’s watching tv, but family bonding can be rooting for the same team, or rooting against the other family member’s team as long as it is a friendly rivalry. Watching NASCAR is my one of my top hobbies, so when my guys watch with me it brings us together. And watching the Toronto Blue Jays with my Dad used to bring us together as a family when I was young.
- Play board games together. Games are a great thing to get the competitive juices flowing, and can also get you working together as a team. Some serious family bonding and memories can be created for your kids by sitting around laughing and playing together. Mattel has some great games to try like Card N Go Seek™ and Bounce-Off™.
- Create crafts together. From finger painting to “stained glass” leaf creations, there are so many possibilities of awesome creations you all can make together. These will not only create lasting memories, but make creations you can hang up to trigger those memories.
- Learn a new hobby craft together. Knitting is a great thing to learn or teach your kids. The art of learning will create memories, as well as the times you are working side by side in the future.
- And if all else fails, family movie night is a great way to create fun family memories! Let someone pick the movie, and create a snack table of goodies, grab some blankets, snuggle up together and just be a family.
What do you do to create memories with your family?
We are a member of the Mattel Play Advocates program. As a member, we receive various perks, however our opinions are never influenced in any way.