If you would like to read more about Shari and her three boys, please feel free to visit her blog, The Knit Wit by Shair.
Trying to come up with ways to connect with our kids can sometimes be a challenge. With three boys, I sometimes struggle with finding fun things we can do together, since I played with different types of toys when I was little.
With Hot Wheels there are a few ways we are able to play together and connect. As winter is coming, it is easy to do these things inside and stay warm while really reconnecting after busy days.
1. Design your best race track together. You can use the Hot Wheels set tracks, or find objects around the house to create a race track. The idea is to collaborate and have fun finding things to use, and design together.
2. Have races. Once you have built the best track ever, you need to see how well it actually races! Does it need tweaks, or is it really awesome. Also when you are getting to race, you both need to find the best race car from all the cars on hand. Have fun picking out the car, and discuss why you think that one will be the fastest.
3. Create a story and adventure. I find this to be the easiest way for me to connect with my boys, as a little girl I came up with adventures for my dolls and me. The adventures will be different of course, but creating an adventure together is great. If you aren’t as comfortable with the story topic (eg. you aren’t sure what a hot wheel would do on an adventure), let your little one take the lead, and jump in where you can.
4. Play an online game. With younger kids it can be hard to keep them safe online, so why not join your little one in playing online games? The Hot Wheels website has some epic games that your kids will love. My son and I both have the Hot Wheels app, and have played at the same time, and talked about how we did, or snuggled while the other one played.
5. Draw or Colour Hot Wheels pictures. Currently people are realizing that colouring can be beneficial to adults as well as kids. Why not skip the adult colouring book sometimes, and just download the Hot Wheels Activity guide, or search the web for Hot Wheels colouring pages so you can sit, chat, and colour together.
There are many ways to engage with your Hot Wheel loving child, but these are some of the ways that my middle son and I most enjoy together.
To help ensure you can build and awesome race track enter our giveaway for the Hot Wheels™ Track Builder Spiral Stack Up, ARV $29.99.
We are a member of the Mattel Play Advocates program. As a member, we receive various perks, however our opinions are never influenced in any way.