I’m embarking on a new path right now in my life. I feel like this new path began way back last September when I started with Norwex. So many things have changed for the better since then!
Now, my path is turning a wee bit, perhaps even a wee bit up hill as I am going to be tackling my health. Specifically, my nutritional health, by paying more attention to the food that I am eating. This is why I’m so excited to have discovered Nature’s Path Qi’a Superfood Snack Bars! Wherever I am in my day, they will help to provide me with energy wherever life takes me.
What’s the deal with SUPERFOOD anyway?
- “Superfood” is super hot right now. What does “superfood” mean to you?
All plant foods are super! To me, the word ‘superfood’ describes a plant food that exhibits incredible nutrient-density, meaning that it contains a higher concentration of nutrients than you might expect given its serving size. This might be the off-the-charts zinc content of pumpkin seeds or the fantastic protein content of hemp seeds. The key nutrients that make a food truly super are usually associated with exceptional health benefits, such as the ability of omega 3 fatty acids in chia and hemp seeds to fight chronic inflammation.
- What are some superfoods to look out for at the grocery store? We don’t give seeds enough credit! Adding chia or hemp seeds to your diet is so easy and boosts your omega 3 and mineral intake. I love how versatile and energizing coconut is, particularly for those on a gluten free diet looking for non-grain options. Dark chocolate is probably the only dessert that gets superfood status – always look for at least 70% cocoa solids, preferably organic. And greens always top my list for a daily superfood boost. Choose whichever you love, from broccoli to Brussels sprouts to kale.
- What makes these foods super? And wait – did you say DARK CHOCOLATE? You bet! Polyphenols in cocoa are thought to help fight inflammation, support better skin, and promote heart health. Choosing at least 70% cocoa ensures you are getting more of these beneficial polyphenols. The healthy fats and soluble fibre of chia seeds helps slow the rate at which nutrients are absorbed into the blood stream, ensuring better blood sugar levels and more stable appetite. The protein and minerals in hemp seeds support muscle repair and immunity. Coconut is high in fibre for a healthy digestive tract and contains unique fats called medium chain triglycerides which are readily absorbed and preferentially burned for energy. And greens are super in so many ways: their high vitamin K and chlorophyll content fight inflammation, and unique sulfur-based phyto-chemicals support a healthy cell cycle and are part of a cancer-prevention diet. Remember, foods are gradual, incremental medicine; there is no such thing as overnight (or single meal) cures! Eating a healthy, plant-centred diet filled with super foods helps ensure a healthier, more energetic you over time.
- What are some easy ways to incorporate superfoods like chia and hemp into your diet? Seeds can be intimidating but they are so easy to add to your daily life. Try sprinkling Qi’a Superfood Cereal, with its trio of yummy super seeds, into a green smoothie or onto your morning oats. Seeds work well in salads (shake into dressings to help them cling to the veggies) or as a crunchy topping for yogurt. You could even turn Qi’a into a healthy chia pudding (I love pairing coconut milk with fresh or thawed mango here) or overnight oats, bursting with summer berries. And hands down the easiest ways to get your daily dose of super seeds is in an easy-to-pack, low sugar snack bar
- How do you get your kids to eat super foods? Desiree’s four year old goes crazy for things in bar form. He is in love with the Qi’a Cranberry Dark Chocolate bars. We take them travelling or pack them as after school snacks when on the go. Seeds also are a natural fit for baking, so stir them into homemade cookies, muffins or quick breads.
This information on superfood has been brought to you by Desiree Nielsen is a registered dietitian in Vancouver, Canada and the author of the book, Un-Junk Your Diet. She is a passionate supporter of organic, non-GMO foods, Desiree encourages her clients to adopt a more plant-centered diet for increased vitality and sustainability.
More on these amazing new superfood bars…
Dark Chocolate Cranberry Almond – Rich dark chocolate chunks (Fair Trade, of course) and crunchy almonds with a burst of tart, juicy cranberries – finally, a snack bar that delivers superfoods for lasting energy.
Roasted Peanut Dark Chocolate – With roasted peanut-y goodness and rich Fair Trade dark chocolate chunks, this snack bar puts a superfood twist on a classic flavour with chia and hemp for lasting energy.
Mocha Cocoa Hazelnut – A superfood energy fix with decadent dark chocolate covered cocoa nibs, rich hazelnuts, and Fair Trade coffee. Unique flavours paired with powerful nutrition in the perfect snack bar for lasting energy.
Blueberry Cashew Pumpkin Seed – Creamy and crunchy, this superfood snack bar features protein-packed nuts and seeds with antioxidant blueberries for a refreshing sweet-yet-tart flavour.
Nuts & Seeds & Sea Salt – A snack bar full of protein-packed nuts and seeds for lasting energy with a hint of sea salt and just a touch of natural sweetness – this must be how superheroes fuel their days.
My favourite bar of the superfood bar bunch by Qi’a are the Dark Chocolate Cranberry Almond. I love the gooey (but not too messy at all) consistency as it truly reminds me of a treat chocolate bar. There is just right hint of sweet and salty. The bars are filling and so delicious!
And now, an amazing superfood opportunity
just for you…..
This post has been generously sponsored by Nature’s Path. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced in any way.