I’ve been trying to come up with some breakfast ideas that are healthy and include protein to get my day started off right. I recently received a copy of Snack Girl to review and discovered a super fun recipe that I would like to (with permission) share with you: Baked Eggs and Cheese in Toast Cups.
This breakfast dish is not only healthy, but I also find it super fun for the kids. When I make delicious, fun breakfasts, the kids eat a proper meal to start off their day. It is important to me that they go to school properly fed and ready to learn. This includes serving them a properly balanced breakfast.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 slice 100% whole-wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 medium egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Soften the butter in the micro- wave (if using a ramekin, just put it in the dish).
- Using a paper towel, butter the dish so the toast will not stick.
- Squeeze the bread into the cup, tearing it a bit to make it fit. Push the bread against the sides of the cup to make space for the cheese and egg.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese into the bread cup and add the egg.
- For a runny egg, bake for 15 minutes; for a half-soft, half-hard yolk, bake for 20 minutes; and for fully cooked, bake for 25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and serve.
NOTE: If you make a bunch of these ahead of time, store them wrapped in plastic wrap in your refrigerator for up to one week.
What is your favourite egg dish?