Baked Eggs and Cheese in Toast Cups

I’ve been trying to come up with some breakfast ideas that are healthy and include protein to get my day started off right. I recently received a copy of Snack Girl to review and discovered a super fun recipe that I would like to (with permission) share with you: Baked Eggs and Cheese in Toast Cups.

This breakfast dish is not only healthy, but I also find it super fun for the kids. When I make delicious, fun breakfasts, the kids eat a proper meal to start off their day. It is important to me that they go to school properly fed and ready to learn. This includes serving them a properly balanced breakfast.
baked eggs and cheese

Baked Eggs and Cheese in Toast Cups
Recipe Type: breakfast
Author: Snack Girl
Ingredients
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon butter (salted or unsalted)
  • 1 slice 100% whole-wheat bread
  • 1 tablespoon grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 medium egg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
  2. Soften the butter in the micro- wave (if using a ramekin, just put it in the dish).
  3. Using a paper towel, butter the dish so the toast will not stick.
  4. Squeeze the bread into the cup, tearing it a bit to make it fit. Push the bread against the sides of the cup to make space for the cheese and egg.
  5. Sprinkle the grated cheese into the bread cup and add the egg.
  6. For a runny egg, bake for 15 minutes; for a half-soft, half-hard yolk, bake for 20 minutes; and for fully cooked, bake for 25 minutes.
  7. Add salt and pepper and serve.

NOTE: If you make a bunch of these ahead of time, store them wrapped in plastic wrap in your refrigerator for up to one week.

Do you eat breakfast?
What is your favourite egg dish?

There is an affiliate link in this post.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Baked Eggs and Cheese in Toast Cups

1. Lynda Cook says:

This is easy enough to make, I should do this for myself, I made up a dozen med boiled eggs so I could have a couple everymorning, well my hubby ate them all, so much for making them ahead

2. kathy downey says:

Awe,thanks I will make this for the grandkids in the morning

3. Victoria Ess says:

These look like a great, healthy breakfast! I like that you can make many at once, which is very important in my household.

4. Maggie Cheung says:

What a great and easy recipe especially for a brunch. I’ve seen bacon instead of using toast but I llike your healthier version more!

5. kathy downey says:

Hubby made these for the grandkids this morning,i was surprised how well they turned out and the kids ate them up

6. Lynda Cook says:

This is a great idea, get tired of the same all the time, I think I would like to mix my egg with some diced up veggies before I pour into the toast, be almost like a baked western

7. LOVE this recipe! So simple and yum! Need to check out this cookbook!

8. elizamatt says:

these look really good, no wonder the kids love them for breakfast 🙂

9. Lynda Cook says:

Would love to see what other recipes are lurking in that cookbook!! I really don’t think I need anymore books tho, it’s one of my addictions I have cookbooks in every cranny and nook in my home..lol.. I have cookbooks that are old and not even looked at and some that are holding on by a thread.

10. elizamatt says:

what an interesting breakfast that makes, I’ve never heard of anything like it. Bet children would love these they’re so unusual which makes them nice. 🙂

11. Jennifer lo says:

I have over easy eggs with toast most mornings. I will make this for sure. Looks delicious

12. Rogue_Femme says:

This is great! I am always eating breakfast while on the go and this would be perfect. Thanks!

13. Laurie P says:

I gotta try this one! So simple and satisfying!