The days are getting shorter and COLDER, that means that winter will be here soon. EEK! Did I just say that? I’m sorry. But, it is the truth and I tell you nothing but the truth here on Multi-Testing Mommy. It is time to start preparing your home for winter. THAT is the truth!
One way to get ready for winter is to ensure that your pantry shelves are stocked. I try to stock my pantry shelves (that are unfortunately located in my basement) with products that have a long shelf life to last us throughout the winter. One product that is a MUST HAVE is Carnation® Evaporated Milk. Why? Because it comes in a can, is easy to use but it also can be used in a pinch in any type of meal (or on its own in an emergency). I’ve even been known to open a can when I’ve run out of my coffee cream until I can get to the store for more.
One of my new, favourite discoveries with Carnation® Evaporated Milk is that it adds extra creaminess to creamy soup. A few weeks ago, I made a Cream of Mushroom Soup and was floored with just how creamy it tasted when I added in the Carnation® Evaporated Milk!
This time, I made Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup.
This combination of carrots, with the zip of ginger and creaminess from the Carnation® Evaporated Milk is a perfect mixture for soup on a crisp, fall day.
And quickly threw together this absolutely delicious soup!
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh, chopped ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups peeled, sliced carrots (about 1/2 lb)
- 4 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup Carnation® Regular, 2% or Fat Free Evaporated Milk
- Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic. Saute until tender and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots. Stir to combine well. Add chicken stock. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree soup using a hand held immersion blender, blender or food processor.
- Return to saucepan. Stir in evaporated milk.
- Cook over low heat 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Make extra soup and freeze to have on hand. Soup may thicken so just add a bit of stock or water to thin out to desired consistency.
Carnation® Evaporated Milk is a very versatile product! It can be used in pie, fudge, soup and every day dinner creations! Because Carnation® Evaporated Milk has less water than regular milk, it adds extra creaminess to any meal.
For more step by step, easy to make recipes,
visit the Carnation® Evaporated Milk Website.
What is your favourite CREAMY SOUP?
Although this post has been generously sponsored by Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. and they sent me free product samples, the opinions and language are all my own, and in no way do they reflect Smucker Foods of Canada Corp.