1/4 cup butter
1/2 white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 bananas, mashed
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup chocolate chips or raisins (or why not both?)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil bottom of loaf pan.
- Beat butter in mixer until light and fluffy. Add sugars and mix well. Add egg, egg whites and vanilla and beat until well blended. Add mashed banana and beat at high speed until mixed well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder in separate bowl. Add this to butter mixture alternately with milk, ending with flour mixture. At the end, fold in raisins/chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake until browned and toothpick comes out clean, approximately 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Cool banana bread in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack to cool for remaining time.
This is a great dessert, however I also like to pre-slice this and put it into individual, lunch sized containers and then freeze it. I love the convenience of pulling out a home-made baked treat occasionally for my daughter’s lunch!
You could also pre-slice it, wrap it well and store it in a large container. Then, when company comes all you have to do is remove it from the freezer and serve! Voila! It freezes quite well as long as you store it properly.