Summer Sanity ~ Reading Comprehension

This post is a part of Summer Sanity, a series of posts for parents to gain ideas and inspiration for how to keep their children happy, active, educated and having fun during the long summer months.

Today’s Activity: Read a book with your child!

Encouraging your child to read every single day throughout the summer is so important! Reading is a skill that must be practised over and over and over again in order to gain new vocabulary, comprehension skills and to hopefully develop a love of reading.

Here are some questions that you can ask your child about the story. These questions will provide your child with the opportunity to further their thoughts and comprehension of the story.

Before the Story:

• What do you think this story is about?
  • Do you think think this is a happy or a sad story? Why?
  • Is this a fiction or a non-fiction book? How can you tell?

During the Story:

• What do you think will happen next?
  • Where does this story take place?
  • Is there a problem that any of the characters are trying to solve? How do you think they could solve it?

After the Story:

• Who are the main characters in the story?
  • If you were to change one thing in this story, what would it be and why?
  • How did this story make you feel?
  • If you could be friends with one character from this story, who would it be and why?
  • What was your favourite part of this story? Why?
  • If you could give this book a different title, what would it be?
  • Was there a message that you can learn from reading this story?
  • If you could change the ending of this story, what would happen and why?
  • If there was a problem in the story, how did the characters solve it?
  • Retell the story in your own words.
  • Try to retell the story in 3 sentences (beginning, middle and end).

For children 7+, here is a Printable Worksheets that you can give them in order to help them organize their thoughts:

Reading Comprehension Sandwich Worksheet

22 Responses to Summer Sanity ~ Reading Comprehension

1. Shari G says:

These are great tips. You are my go to gal when it comes to educational ideas for the kids. Thanks!

2. The Zoo says:

Love the sandwich idea. My brain works top to bottom so I get it. I love it when my husband reads to the kids because he NEVER actually reads what the text says, we’s really interactive and makes up a story of his own. The kids are still young and don’t mind, I’m sure they will soon…

Besos, Sarah
    Zookeeper at Journeysof TheZoo
    journeysofthezoo at hotmail dot com

3. Awesome tips, Amanda! I am working on reading with my kids this summer, and I’m in need of some serious inspiration to get my son interested.

4. Christine says:

I love this post! Thanks for sharing such amazing tips! I love the sandwich idea!

5. Katrina says:

This is great! It makes reading a book more interesting and interactive. Very creative

6. Great post! My girls are getting good at reading but we could probably work on their comprehension.

7. Love the tips! The hubby and I are pretty good when it comes to asking some of those tips to our little ones, the kids love telling us what they think and their answers too! 🙂

8. Nicole says:

Great tips! I’m going to bookmark this post so I have it to reference in the future.

9. Great Post & Tips from One GREAT Mama!!

10. Canadian Dad says:

So great! I love reading with my kids and more importantly, they love to have Mommy and Daddy read to them!

11. Jayda says:

We love reading as a family! thanks for sharing your knowledge and fun ideas!

-SASS

12. Jenelle says:

New follower from the Stop and Share Saturday, or S.A.S.S blog hop.

These are great ideas that I am going to incorporate into reading this summer with my daughter. It is a good way for them to keep their brains active and prepare for the upcoming school year. Thanks for sharing!

Have a Great Weekend!

13. Paula Schuck says:

Very good tips for the summer with little ones. Thanks. SASS

14. I read with my children regularly, and we do talk about the stories – but I don’t usually ask them what they think the story is going to be about. GREAT pre-book ideas. I also love the story sandwich. Awesome. I will be putting those two tips into effect immediately. Our goal every summer is 100 books. We are more than halfway there. SASS

15. Shari G says:

My boys love reading! I should build some time in the mornings just to read…quiet time for mom too 😉 – feeling SASSY

16. Ave Renee says:

I don’t have any children of my own yet, but I do volunteer in my church’s nursery! I use some of these questions with 2 – 3 year olds (obviously much simpler ones :P) and their responses are always so cute ^_^

17. Great post!

I am stopping by from SASS this weekend and since my blog is all about reading with children, I loved reading your post. :o)

Summer reading time is so important for children and doing it interactively is the best way to promote a love of books and family togetherness.

I hope you will stop by my blog this weekend and take a quick look around. It is http://librarystorytimeabcs.blogspot.com

Enjoy your Sunday!
    ~ K ~

18. el03ro says:

July 16-I think the Post On ‘giving your child a play garden’ is a wonderful idea. Wish I had read it sooner. You may be sure that I will do this with my ggsons next summer. I think we will all love it!–el03ro

19. el03ro says:

20. A. Smith says:

Thanks for the tips and printables. I find that I’m reading much more with my daughter this summer because we are indoors more than usual due to my mother’s injuries. It’s actually been fun to rediscover some of the books I read as a child and to watch her light up just like I did. I think I have a little book worm on my hands 🙂

21. Annie1 says:

What great tips for reading with wee ones! I love reading with my grandkids but I haven’t been asking many questions…….I definitely will now!

RAFFLECOPTER
    NAME
    is
    Anne Taylor

22. el03ro says:

August 20-I think the questions you give to ask children after they read a story would be very effective-just remember to tailor your questions to the age of the children. Younger children may be able to answer very simple questions at first. This may also be a problem for older children who may read well orally but who have not developed their comprehension. Wonderful idea!-el03ro