Baking Tips for Making Sugar Cookies

Be sure to visit my tried and true simple recipe for Sugar Cookies after you read these tips.

Here are my tips. These suggestions can be used in more recipes than just Sugar Cookies, but this is where I find them most useful.

• Put your cookie dough in the fridge for approximately 10 minutes prior to rolling.
  • Use icing sugar instead of flour to make your surfaces (counter, hands and rolling pin) non-stick. This will not change the consistency of your cookies and it won’t make your cookies taste like flour on the outside.
  • Use Rolling Pin Elastics to ensure evenly rolled dough – these have been a serious life saver for me.
  • When cutting the dough with cookie cutters, give the cutter a wiggle back and forth (after you have pushed all the way to the surface) while firmly pressing down, this helps to loosen the shape from the rest of the dough.

15 Responses to Baking Tips for Making Sugar Cookies

1. Jennifer L says:

Great tips, I will try the icing sugar instead of flour for sure 🙂

2. Nancy says:

Sugar cookies are a must and what we leave for Santa every year! I definitely always use icing sugar when I bake! Much better than flour and the elastics, I never thought of that, awesome tips! Heading over to see your recipe!

3. Sheri says:

Great tips! I have been doing all of my holiday baking this week. Maybe I will give your recipe a try.

4. Gingermommy says:

I have never had luck with these. I will be using your tips next time for sure

5. Alyssa says:

Excellent! Thanks for the tips!

6. Katrina Brady says:

I never thought of icing sugar to roll them in. Interesting and something I will definately try!

7. I needed those tips! Icing sugar taste on sugar cookies is so much better than flour… 🙂 thanks

8. Mommy Moment says:

Thanks for the awesome tips!!

Merry Christmas!
    Jody
    Mommy Moment

9. I’ve never heard of those elastics before

10. love the icing sugar suggestion!

11. Great info, thanks! We’ll be making sugar cookies for Santa on Friday

12. Tabitha Pye says:

Great tips! But what are rolling pin elastics? And where would I buy such a thing? 😉 I’m making my sugar cookies soon I hope!

13. BooBooNinja says:

I’ve never heard of rolling pin elastics either. What are they?

14. 2012july says:

Thanks for the tips. I’d never heard of rolling pin rings – what a wonderful idea (and thanks for making it so easy to look at/order the rings by including the link).

15. elizamatt says:

I’m another one who’s never heard of rolling pin rings but I have now seen what they are. Great tips to help out with making cookies. I also dip my cutter into flour or icing sugar (depending on what sort of cookie it is) to prevent sticking.