Sibling Rivalry – Are YOU Pulling Your Hair Out?!

I have loved listening to parenting expert Alyson Schafer ever since my daughter was wee! Alyson has some very useful tips and information for parents on a large variety of parenting topics.

Being a parent is quite possibly the hardest job in the world! If someone had told me this before I got pregnant, I never would have believed them, but I am a believer now, let me tell you!

Each age and stage of child growth and development comes with its own set of challenges!

Recently, my parenting challenge is SIBLING RIVALRY!

My children have a love/hate relationship. I am at a loss most days as to how to help them figure out their problems.

Alyson Schafer has shared some wonderful tips that I will be taking under my wing this summer when I have both kids home! Check out this video brought to you by YummyMummyClub.ca:

Check out Multi-Testing Mommy’s Current Giveaways

Opinions expressed belong to Multi-Testing Mommy and are NOT influenced in any way. See MTM’s Disclosure for more details.
Protected by Copyscape Original Content Check

22 Responses to Sibling Rivalry – Are YOU Pulling Your Hair Out?!

1. Oh, yes Amanda! I hear you. My kids have a love/hate relationship as well. But, I will say that when one of them is being put down by another kid, they always jump right in and defend their sibling. And, in the scheme of things that is pretty good.

ps. I always tell them they will be thankful for their siblings when they are grown. They may see them as a bother now, but someday they will be treasures. {{I hope}}

2. Tarasview says:

ok- that was awesome! Loved those tips!! Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. Monica says:

My kids are grown but if you can believe it, I still deal with sibling rivalry!!

4. Jodi Shaw says:

Oh I am so going through this right now. My boys are almost 8 years apart, so I understand it, but sometimes my oldest can be a big meaner to his little brother.

5. It’s already started here. These kids can be so friendly one minute and then the next be at each other’s throats. Fun times. LOL!

6. Oh I’m going through the same thing over here. With a almost seven and almost five year old, these two are fighting and then making up constantly. It’s hard, but for me I give them three warnings and if they continue to fight then they go in their rooms for a time out. That’s iffy though because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but that’s part of being siblings.

7. Canadian Dad says:

My kids are 2 & 4 and just starting to get into the squabbling phase. These are all great tips, especially the one about showing when you make up as husband and wife.

8. NenaS says:

OMG, I can totally relate! Thanks for sharing!

9. JeannetteNL says:

I had never heard of Alyson Schafer until I just read about her here. Sibling rivalry literally drives me around the bend. I have tried to teach my children to respect each other and realize that we are all individuals that have our own differing points of view. I think on some level they understand what I am saying but the clashes still occur. I suppose it is par for the course but I wish I could end it entirely…One can wish right? I really appreciate your post and the ability to check out Alyson Schafer for tips. Thanks!

10. NenaS says:

Sibling rivalry is a huge problem in my home and my sons are teens now! Ugh!!

11. I’m not there yet but I think it’s coming. I have a 3.5 yr old boy and a 13 mo. girl.

12. el03ro says:

August 14-I really liked Alyson Schafer’s tips on sibling rivalry. One of her tips involved having a family forum. This is an excellent way to bring up problems and anyone can speak at it and the rest may comment until a resolution is reached. Dr.Haim Ginnott suggested this in a book many eons ago. I tried it and I knew it was successful when they started having forums without me! I had five chldren and it was a terrific venue to air problems. Of course, they should always have the option of talking to you or your spouse privately if they wish to do so.-el03ro

13. Olivia L says:

Thanks for the info! I just had our second girl 3 weeks ago, and our 2.5 year old is clearly struggling with the adjustment. I hope that we can head off jealousy and rivalry early.

14. Busymumof4 says:

With 4 kids, I definitely have to deal with this, my son is jealous of his sisters, the baby is jealous of her brother, the older one is jealous of the younger one and vice versa!!

15. i have four kid. boy, girl, boy, girl. the first two oldest fight so much about nothing really. but i know my son has his sister’s back if it ever came down to it.

16. Ava says:

Thank you for sharing some good info here wish i would have saw this about 8 years ago but thank you!

17. Kristi R. says:

I’ve got a 19 month old, and a 3 1/2 year old, and we’re definately dealing with some sibling rivalry.

18. Huguette En says:

I thought it would end when they grew up. My daughter is away for her 3rd year of university and they still can’t get along. However I do see the love for each when one of them is sad or hurt.

19. mamawee says:

We are dealing with it now too….it’s so hard to be fair when there is a 3 yr age gap; my youngest doesn’t GET it the same way the older one does

20. matthewtupy says:

Oh I hear you and it is amazing at how it can start at such a young age. Thanks.

21. NenaS says:

Great tips! I wish i had seen this about 15 years ago! Lol. My sons are older now, but they still fight!

22. Annie1 says:

brilliant tips! I was pretty lucky as there are quite a few yrs between my kids, so there was really not much sibling ravalry!

RAFFLECOPTER NAME