Tackle It Tuesday: MTM vs Xbox

Tackle It Tuesday is a theme that I have started to post about ANYTHING in life that I have “tackled” from Finding Healthy Recipes to Tackling Paperwork Organization. This week, I tackled my passion against video games……AND I admit that I was WRONG!

Dear Hubby,

You were right, I was wrong. There you go, I said it! It’s on record. It’s gone public.

When you first met me, I was anti Video Games of any sort (I won’t get into all of the details as to why on here).

I fought and fought against our family purchasing a console gaming system.

You bought yourself a hand held gaming tool and I will now say that you played that more than you play your new big and shiny console one! Why? Because the handheld device could be played whenever and wherever. It was convenient and the children couldn’t see what you were doing. With the console type, you only play what is appropriate for the kids to see and I will admit, you play it much, much less than I thought you would.

I was worried and although I do believe my worries were legit, I was also wrong. Buying an Xbox 360 with Kinect was an excellent choice for our family. Gah, I can’t believe I am actually saying this, but it is true!

Since purchasing the Xbox at the beginning of January, our family has engaged in more activities in the house TOGETHER.

Since the beginning of January, I have lost 11 pounds and a part of that has been because I have done Zumba and DDR on the Xbox.

The Xbox Kinect has proven to be a wonderful tool to help children with cooperative skills, gross motor skills and patience.

I love our family rule of “no controller games allowed for children” because this makes the XBox a physical activity for the children and takes away the sedentary “argument” that I had about video gaming in general.

Funny enough, I will also admit that I have used the Xbox 360 the same amount as time as you if not more and I am LOVING it.

Is there something in your life that you have tackled lately that you would like to admit here, in public? If so, please leave a comment below!

Pin It
Check out Multi-Testing Mommy’s Giveaways

Toy Clearance Sale at chapters.indigo.ca!

19 Responses to Tackle It Tuesday: MTM vs Xbox

1. Nicole says:

I’m so not a gamer either. I love our Kinect though. High levels of engagement and fun for the whole family. Great way to be active!

2. Congrats on the weight loss, girly! That is simply wonderful.

As for the games, I have to admit I was a gamer. Before I had the kiddos I was addicted to The Sims, lol. Even though I still have some of them, I rarely play, maybe a couple times a year, if that.

And I am now kicking myself in the butt because we bought a PS3, (barely kid friendly) because we had a PS2 and thought they would continue to make kid games like they did on the PS2. We were wrong.

Since seeing all the wonderful things you can do with the Xbox, I am now saving up money to purchase either that or the Wii.
    Wish me luck!

3. I love this Amanda! I have heard so many great things about the Kinect but I love the pros you have described. I know my DD would love all the dance games and why not included some calorie burning into family fun!

I can’t believe you admitted in public that your husband was right! They’re not supposed to know that…ever! 🙂

4. OH and I can’t believe I forgot to say this…11 pounds??? Good for you. I am so super impressed. Keep it up!!

5. My hubby and son are gamers and love playing. At least they play together. My youngest daughter loves her leap frog hand held game.

6. Tarasview says:

I’m not a gamer either and have yet to give in… but the rest of my family all loves our Wii. Perhaps I should give it a try? 🙂

7. Sober Julie says:

Whoohooo way to go, 11 pounds is amazing!! I just love the way the gaming companies are getting us all more active

8. I am a gamer. At least I used to be before having kids. But, I do love the Wii and how it gets me moving and Gabs loves it too. I do need to get an Xbox Kinect though. I think I will give it a whirl.

9. Congrats on the 11 pounds! The active games on Kinect and Wii are great, and there is so much even to be learned from the sedentary games, including reading skills. Everything in moderation I say 🙂

10. WOW, I’ve heard good things about dance videos and work outs on the gaming system but we haven’t tried any yet. we have a sports package that my 5 year old likes and gets all sweaty over, but it’s not really for me

11. We love our Kinect here too 🙂

12. Gingermommy says:

We have many kinds of video games here and we as a family love them. But most of my kids are older. I need to tackle my back room. I use it for storage and really do not know what is in it half the time lol

13. Deanna T. says:

Well, I am totally a gamer, but this post made me giggle. Love DDR. Need to dust off the dance mat and break it out again. We haven’t bought Kinnect yet, but now I’m sorely tempted.

14. Kevin L says:

WTG lol I had a chuckle this morning when you emailed me this.

Congratso on the weight loss and great fun family time.
    LMAO can you get pacman for the kinect.. BAH ha hardy har har.

Keep up the good work with the weight loss and enjoy your family time.

Kudo’s to you!!

15. Lol I bow to you oh mighty one for admitting you were wrong to your husband in public! lol such an adorable post! Glad you are having a great time, it is fun when you can do it together as a family.

16. we bought one for our kids too this past year, we love it!!!

17. Shari G says:

I love that you are willing to admit hubby was right! It helps to strengthen our marriages when we realize that it is ok to admit we were wrong. I am a Wii girl, but we only got our xbox kinect. We need to get more games the boys can play too!

18. Wendy S says:

I like the “no controller” compromise.

We have a PS3 and a Wii. The kids love the Wii….we just need our basement back so that we an play again.

19. Pingback: Dance Central 2 for Xbox Kinnect {REVIEW} Multi-Testing Mommy